This morning my roommate Venmoed me with a caption of “it’s finally December!!” and I feel the same way! I not only love the holiday season, but the excitement of a new year, goal planning and the prospect of a “fresh start.”
As usual, below I’m sharing my November recap – all the things I bought, watched, a few eats, my favorite posts and more! (P.S. this is a long one!)
What I Bought:
November brought more shopping than anticipated, but in a good way. I was able to purchase a few home items I had been wanting after the sale of my first home:
- TV for my home gym
- New Christmas tree ornaments
- Home security items, including a Ring Doorbell and new motion lights
Aside from this, I also purchased a Costco membership for my parents and I! I’ve been wanting one for about a year now, and I finally pulled the trigger 🙂
I also started my holiday shopping! I don’t think my little brother reads my blog (fingers crossed) and a friend shared this great Target gift idea for the Star Wars lover.
I purchased a bottle of wine from Peloton Cellars as a gift for a fellow Peloton lover – how fun is this?! I saw it posted on the Peloton Members Facebook Page and loved it for a gift idea.
I’m hosting a “favorite things” party this week, so I bought my items for this. I’ll share a full recap of the party later! This is such a neat idea to do instead of a gift exchange. I feel like we always have that one friend who brings the gift no one wants. This way you end up with three items to try – you’re bound to like one of them!
You all know I love Book of the Month, and December had too many good choices! You can add on a book for $9.99, so not only did I pick my first choice of The Wives, but I also selected Long Bright River. Finishing these two will push me over my 2019 reading goal of 32 books!
During Black Friday sales, Grace Atwood influenced me to purchase a Discover Night Pillow. I’ve been pillow hunting for a bit, and this not only has memory foam and a silk case, but it’s black. I previously have had a tan/brownish silk case on my pillow and it still shows makeup if I lie down on it.
On Small Business Saturday, I (of course) grabbed a new sweater from Darling Daylight. Check that out on the picture above.
Speaking of sales, at the beginning of November Sephora had their VIB 15% off sale (sneaky, pulling that before the holidays). I stocked up on items that I normally buy to get a discount, but also grabbed the Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream (also a Grace Atwood recommendation). So far I’m loving it and it hasn’t made me break out.
What I Watched:
In November, I pulled the trigger on two new streaming services – Disney+ and Hallmark Movies. I have to be honest, I’m not super sold on the Hallmark Movies App, as there aren’t as many new movies as I anticipated. I plan to cancel it after this month. Disney+, though, is awesome! I’ve watched lots of my favorite childhood shows and movies. Still obsessed with Smart House.
Aside from catching up on every episode of Flip or Flop ever, I saw a few good movies. This past week I saw Knives Out in theaters and definitely recommend renting it – 4/5 stars.
I really want to see Last Christmas – it’ll be one I rent when it comes out in February.
What I Read:
I hit my monthly goal of three books/month in November.
- The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell was my Book of the Month pick. Earlier this year I read another one of her novels, Then She Was Gone. This novel about a woman who turns 25 and discovers she’s inherited a mansion in London had lots of unexpected twists and turns and is definitely worth the read. 4/5 stars
- This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger was actually a Book of the Month pick a few months ago, but I couldn’t get myself to start it. With deer season in November, I had more reading time (sitting in the stand), so I finished this in two days and am really glad I gave it a shot! It’s definitely going to make my top books of 2019 list. Four orphan children in the 1930’s travel from an abusive Indian school in MN across the heartland to St. Louis. As the preview says, they “cross paths with others who are adrift, from struggling farmers and traveling faith healers to displaced families and lost souls of all kinds.” It was incredibly well written, enticing and had an unexpected ending. 5/5 stars
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood was the last book I read this month. I could gush about this one. I did not read the first Handmaid’s Tale novel, but watched the Hulu show religiously. This definitely followed the show and set it up for multiple upcoming seasons. It follows Aunt Lydia’s backstory of growing up in Gilead and becoming an Aunt. There are two other primary characters, but you’ll have to read it yourself to find out who 🙂 5/5 stars
- Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana Soup (this tastes exactly the same)
- Thick and Chewy White Chocolate Peanut Butter Blondies
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower
Favorite Peloton Classes:
I’m adding this section to my recaps, because I know some of you are also Peloton riders – and I get lots of questions on this! These are the classes I loved and recommend you try from this month:
- 20 Minute Full Body Strength with Robin from 11/4/19
- 10 Minute Chest & Back with Olivia from 11/21/19
- 30 Minute Coldplay Ride with Emma (not my usual favorite instructor but loved it) from 11/21/19
I’m looking forward to trying the Coldplay yoga class soon! As a reminder, you can get $100 off your Peloton purchase with my code THFUJ6.
17 Things to Do On Your Commute Instead of Scrolling – The Every Girl
I Tried Meghan Markle’s Morning Routine for a Week – Also, The Every Girl
The 20 Must-Read Books Of 2020 – Bustle
Favorite Posts on MP:
The last month of the year, ah! I’m ready to start my Powersheets Prep Week and look at my 2020 goals – which I’ll be sharing. I’m also looking forward to changing things up here and getting a totally renovated blog design in the next month. That will be a project I’m taking on myself, so please be patient 🙂 Have a very happy start to your December!
Take a look back a previous monthly recaps here.