It feels so good to say we’re in 2020! 2019 was an incredible year, and I didn’t expect to accomplish as much as I did (thanks Powersheets for the reminder!). I hope you feel the same way about your past year – you most definitely deserve to. I’m also so thankful for you coming here to read my posts. I invest a lot of time into my blog and truly appreciate you enjoying it too.
Per usual, below I’m sharing my December recap – all the things I bought, watched, cleanse foods, favorite Peloton rides and more!
What I Bought:
- This pair of pointed toe boots from Nordstrom that go with essentially everything (and they’re 40% off).
- An immersion blender from Amazon that I’m obsessed with and made a soup with the day it came in the mail!
- This new perfect tan/nude nail color for my at-home gel nail kit.
- This $12.99 self tanner from Ulta that – wait for it – actually doesn’t smell and has great color. You need it. I vote it better than St. Tropez…
- Speaking of Ulta, it’s their shampoo liter sale through January 25th. I grabbed my favorite color care shampoo. I am actually getting my hair colored in a few weeks for the first time in two years-wowza.
- Lastly – and of course – I have to share the book I picked for Book of the Month. I just selected The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James. The quick take of it: “A creep-tastic ghost story where a woman finds the run-down motel her aunt was last seen in.” So, I’m in!
What I Watched:
Like the rest of the Millennial world, I had to finish YOU Season 2 on Netflix. I liked it more than Season 1. I also had a lot of friends ask if you needed to watch the first season to see the second. My answer is that it helps to watch it, BUT you could also understand what’s happening just by watching Season 2.
In theaters. I saw Knives Out again! The first time with a friend, the second with my family. It was the perfect movie to watch with your parents. Great cast, good plot, and nothing too raunchy. My rating: 4/5 stars.
What I Read:
I only read two books in December, but I completed my reading goal of 32 books in 2019! I’m stoked to have read some incredible novels this year. If you missed my “Best Books of 2019” post, read it here. Also, follow along with me on Goodreads here (and set your own goal).
- The Wives by Tarryn Fisher, which was my Book of the Month pick from December. The first half of the book I’d give 5 stars, because I was intrigued by the polygamist plot and main character. The second half I’d give 2 stars because it took a weird turn. Overall, I gave this one 3/5 and a “meh”. I’m not recommending it, but I did pass it along to a friend for her opinion.
- The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware was the second book I read. I grabbed this one at my local library after someone on Instagram recommended it to me. I just finished The Turn of the Key by this author, and I am on a bit of a thriller kick. I absolutely loved this book. The plot got a little confusing at times and made me re-read pages, but I think that drew me in even more. It was one I couldn’t put down after I got into it. 5/5 stars
I actually ended December by doing this 5-day cleanse from Camille Styles. It’s not a juice cleanse or anything intense, just a healthy food reset. Because I interrupted it with New Years, I definitely didn’t follow the script; however, I feel a lot better about cooking healthy foods at home this year. I’m going to make a point to make lunches from scratch and bring leftovers to work instead of picking up Panera, Chick Fil A, etc. in 2020. This reset really helped.
From the cleanse, I liked these recipes the most:
- Slow Baked Citrus Salmon with Fennel & Herbs: I would not add the fennel. I felt like I wasted $3 on a fennel bulb. I LOVED the citrus orange with the salmon.
- Gluten-Free Cauliflower Tabbouleh: The name of this recipe does not scream “salad”, but that’s what it is. I have a new love for cauliflower rice. Also, the dressing was something I’ll make multiple times.
- Curry Butternut Squash Soup: My first homemade soup with my immersion blender!! This recipe was a keeper. I halfed it and had leftovers for lunch at work the next day.
Favorite Peloton Classes:
Hello, Pelofam! I hit 99 rides in December and did a few great ones. As a reminder, you can get $100 off your Peloton purchase with my code THFUJ6.
- I started Andy Speer’s 4-week strength program. I totally stopped, but I plan to continue in 2020.
- 20 minute Best of the Decade Ride with Ally Love from 12/30/19
- Speaking of Ally, loved her 5 minute Warm Up Ride from 11/23/19
Favorite Posts on MP:
You may have noticed my blog looks a little different! I’m working on installing my new theme and figuring out all of it’s capabilities. Very excited about it, though.
I’m headed to Jackson Hole, WY in January and can’t wait! If you have any recommendations, send them my way 🙂