Getting brutally honest with how the past month went and sharing a September 2018 recap below.
First off, September was a tough month for me. I don’t know if it was the temperature dropping, how busy I felt sometimes, or changes at work, but I occasionally felt like I was drowning. This month a family member passed away (she was a wonderful person), and while at the funeral, one of my SUV windows was smashed and my vehicle broken into. I’m sharing this because of what happened next. A few days later, I got a call from my bank that someone had found one of my bags that was taken on the side of the road while she was walking her dog. My checkbook was inside so she was able to take it to the bank and have them contact me. Thank the Lord for people like her. This was my gym bag, but it was full of Lululemon and my Brooks running shoes – a few hundred dollars worth of stuff. It restored my faith that there are good people in the world.
The following Wednesday, my parents stopped over and my dad pointed out that the lock on my garage was missing. Someone had tried to break into my garage. Sigh. The past two weeks have been full of bad luck, lots of tears, and as you may have noticed, a lull from me on posting. I’m thankful I didn’t lose anything, but I’m looking for home exterior camera recommendations. Please comment and tell me if you have any! I’m leaning toward Arlo – any experiences with this brand?
If you’re reading this today, thanks for being in my usually positive corner of the world 🙂 Below I’m sharing my HAPPY monthly updates!
What I Bought:
Last month I bought Target’s version of the Free People cutout booties (SUCH A STEAL!) and I wanted to share them again. All the heart eyes, still. They’re in the picture above.
I got this Addy tank from Backporch Boutique – they’re such a steal for $12. For size reference, I got a M and it’s flowy/almost long on me!
Coming up on the blog next week: fall home decor! I got a TON of stuff from Gordmans. Their fall selection was AMAZING. I was happily surprised. They have stepped it up on home decor, furniture, and accessories lately. I’m a little sad they didn’t have some of the stuff they have now when I was decorating my office.
3 Items In My Shopping Cart:
- I need to just pull the plug on this new work bag. My Tory Burch tote is falling apart. The straps are like, in half. It’s so hard to find a bag that holds a 15 inch laptop, and this is the one.
- I went to a fall trends event at Gramercy and leopard is IN. This cardigan from Asos is on my wish list.
- Had to share a Target find. I saw these flats in person and loved the shape!
Where I Traveled/Ate:
It feels kind of great that I didn’t travel this month. My wallet is thanking me 😉
I went to the Applejack Festival in Nebraska City, but didn’t love it. They were out of apples, so that didn’t help, haha! Next year I’ll skip this and just head to Kimmel Orchard on an off weekend.
We ate at Thai Esarn for a work lunch. It was my first Thai experience and it was DELICIOUS. If you’re looking to try Thai food, I would recommend this so much!
Movies I Saw:
I actually saw four movies this month:
- Peppermint – WOW. Jennifer Garner in a different role and she killed it! This was intense and such a “me” movie – I love action. I’d give this one a 7/10.
- Unbroken – I learned after watching that this is the second in a series and there is a book (which my mom reminded me I bought for my brother for Christmas two years ago, lol, good memory here). It was amazing and such an inspirational story. It was tied in with Christianity and I didn’t anticipate that coming. Rating: 9/10
- The House With A Clock In It’s Walls – So weird, but entertaining. 3/4 of it had me thinking, “OK, I’d recommend this”, but then Jack Black is transformed into a baby and things got too weird. I know I lack a sense of humor sometimes, but it was too much. Rating: 5/10
- Searching – This movie has such a twist and I LOVED IT. My MoviePass BFF Libby (she’s seen over 55 movies this year, trust her opinion) said this was one of the best movies she’d seen this year and I agree. It’s so different from anything else in theaters right now and the ending is unexpected. Rating: 9/10.
Netflix Series I Watched:
I finished Season 2 of Ozark and it was, as I’d heard, better than Season 1. I am so into this show, I think I’ll re-watch it.
I actually cancelled Hulu for the time being. As you may know, I’m a Bachelor addict (I’ve been watching since Travis), and I’ll renew it when Colton’s season is back on. Speaking of Colton, I love to follow Reality Steve pre-season to read who’s coming on. It’s already going to be dramatic (do I sound like Chris Harrison?).
Favorite Blog Posts of the Month on Margaret Paige:
Reader & My Favorite: One Year of Home Ownership: What I’ve Learned
Favorite Posts of the Month:
Why Burnout is More Prevalent in Women Than Men – The Every Girl. This quote below- AHHH! Just read this.
I hope you are lucky enough to have a job you love, and to do work you love daily. But I also hope you are courageous enough to recognize that you are not your job, and that your life extends far beyond your work day.
On the note of work… Why You Need To Overhaul Your After-Work Routine – The Every Girl
Fall Porches & Planters – Life on Virginia Street
My bathroom remodel is almost ready to happen. I hope to conquer tearing down all of the wallpaper, paint my vanity + add new hardware, and decide on flooring. October is my favorite time of the year. Because everything I said above was so focused on de-stressing, I encourage you to take time for yourself, like I’m trying to do. Fall is the perfect time to stay home and rejuvenate.