Photography: Molly Schiermeyer
I’ve moved 9 times in the last 5 years. NINE. I consider myself an expert on all things apartments. I know about packing, moving, traveling, leases, maintenance, etc. My biggest strength, though? What you have to have.
Moving from place-to-place in college (sorority house, my parents house, apartment, summer apartment, Chicago apartment, etc), has set me up for knowing the basics. There are a few essential items I couldn’t live without and I consider them my “must-haves”.
- Grill Pan. I could not live without my trusty Sur La Table kitchen pan set and it came with one of these babes. No matter where you live, you’re able to “grill” from your stovetop! This allows me to make chicken, burgers, grilled veggies, and more in a small space!
- Slow Cooker. You barely have to have a recipe for these! I throw in some chicken & veggies, come home from work & enjoy supper!
- Williams Sonoma Olive Oils. These can be used for cooking but are best with salads! I recommend the Pomegranate – super delicious and healthy.
- Makeup Organizer (mine is from TJ Maxx). In a small space, this comes in handy! I was always told “If you don’t see it, you won’t use it” and this prevents that from happening.
- Silicone Spatulas. Spatulas with a wooden handle tend to collect bacteria and don’t come apart to wash – allowing more food to get stuck in them. These are extremely durable.
- The giant, red Betty Crocker Cookbook. The same one your mom & grandma have 😉 This is the ever-trusted pre-Pinterest God.
- Bar Cart from Ikea. Trying to dress up your place? Hold your Keurig or coffee maker? Store extra cups? Spend $30 and have the cutest little setup!
- Roku. Skip purchasing cable and save by having this device for Netflix, Hulu, etc.
- Duvet Insert. If you have a duvet, you can always change the cover. I invested in a Pottery Barn duvet insert five years ago and it’s lasted all five (plus hopefully another 5!).
That’s all I’ve got! What are your must-haves?